Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica
Out Of Stock
Explore a worldwide cityscape filled to the brim with adventure and intrigue in this campaign setting for the world’s greatest roleplaying game!
A perpetual haze of dreary rain hangs over the spires of Ravnica. Bundled against the weather, the cosmopolitan citizens in all their fantastic diversity go about their daily business in bustling markets and shadowy back alleys. Through it all, ten guilds—crime syndicates, scientific institutions, church hierarchies, military forces, judicial courts, buzzing swarms, and rampaging gangs—vie for power, wealth, and influence. These guilds are the foundation of power on Ravnica. They have existed for millennia, and each one has its own identity and civic function, its own diverse collection of races and creatures, and its own distinct subculture. Their history is a web of wars, intrigue, and political machinations as they have vied for control of the plane.
Do you want dozens of new D&D monsters from Wizards of the Coast?
Does exploring a planet spanning city via membership in one of ten competing guilds sound challenging?
If you play or DM Dungeons & Dragons, then Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica will have something for you.
Guildmasters’ Guide to Ravnica, releasing in November, and is thoroughly a D&D book for D&D players.
Unlike the Magic the Gathering Guilds are defined based on philosophy not color.
The setting focuses on adventurers, not MtG play. An example is new full page art depicting an adventuring party in the rain with four different guild members on a bridge behind them. An image that is grounded in D&D game play.
Ravnica’s ten guilds serve as both government and voluntary organizations. They clash with opposing philosophies and goals. The traditional magical power keeping the peace is the guildpact. The guildpact currently flows from one man and he is often on other planes, leaving Ravnica open to guild intrigue and tension filled conflict.
The guild is the lens through which the PCs see the world. A player may select a guild in place of a background. Guilds are more about exploration and interaction than combat. Guilds provide skills, special abilities, and NPC contacts. The DM looks at all of the PCs’ guilds and builds a campaign around opposing guilds. Advice covers good guilds to serve as adversaries, plots to oppose the PCs, typical NPCs and monsters to use, and what locations would fit the campaign. The players‘ guild choice combined with the advice for DMs provides a solid direction for a campaign.
GUILDS OF RAVNICA:
- The Boros Legion are paladins, armored mages wielding fire, and military forces.
- The Golgari Swarm are sewer dwelling elves living in darkness, using insects, and wielding necromancy.
- The Selesnya Conclave is a cult speaking in one voice and trying to convert others.
- House Dimir consists of spies and assassins.
- The Orzhov Syndicate are a combination of organized crime, bank, and church.
- The Izzet League is home to inventors and conduct grand experiments.
- The Gruul Clans combine fiery emotion with a connection to the natural world expressed through barbarian clans.
- The Azorius Senate governs Ravnica and enforces the law.
- The Cult of Rakdos is a demonic cult circus.
- The Simic Combine masters life science and is heavily into body modification and hybrid creatures.